- With a strong determination to establish in Lebanon a unique cultural institution dedicated to art and culture
- With profound awareness of the importance of the arts and cultural production in the life of a society
- With due respect for the intrinsic values of life and regard for the individual; concern for freedom of conscience, freedom of speech, and for creativity and peace
- With utmost awareness of the acute need for a museum of modern and contemporary art to make the art of the country accessible to the public at all times
- To establish a contemporary art museum, comprehensive in its concept, modern in its vision, futuristic in its outlook and to showcase the plastic arts of the country
- To create an optimum venue for appreciation, creativity and outreach, while setting a high aesthetic standard in the arts with the optimum standard of curatorial work and scholarship and seek cooperation with regional and extra-regional organizations
- To protect, acquire, preserve and conserve all modes of aesthetic expression and keep timely and accurate record open to the public
- To offer our new generations knowledge, inquisitiveness, motivation to be creative and to encourage them to develop their full potential
The museum's holds a permanent exhibition of sculptures under the title PANORAMA OF SCULPTURES IN LEBANON. The exhibition showcases sculptures made in Lebanon of wood, metal and stone dating from the early 1920s to the present. It also displays various works by contemporary Lebanese ceramic artists.
INSTALLATION ART HALL
With over 1.500 square meters of indoor exhibition space, MACAM offers the young generation of artists a lively space to preserve their installations. The displayed installations are on loan or as gifts from artists. MACAM aims to provoke its visitors to reconsider their understanding of contemporary art.
The factory’s spacious industrial architecture of the 1970s allows for a flexible and constantly changing display arrangements. MACAM is a place of production, encounter and archiving for contemporary art. Thematic exhibitions, competitions, events, workshops and conferences are regularly organized in collaboration with private collectors, museums and public institutions to highlight prominent artists, distinguished art collections, art themes or eras in Lebanese art.
CAFE / CHILDREN CORNER / SHOP
MACAM welcomes its visitors to the Reception Hall which features the café, a children corner and a shop. The café offers hot and cold refreshments. The children corner challenges children to draw on the table, white board or tablets with all kind of coloring utensils. The museum shop offers books on Lebanese art as well as coloring pens, acquarelle sets, pallettes and boards for children.
To round up your visit to MACAM in Alita you can have a relaxing stroll up to the Mar Charbel Sanctuary to enjoy a breath-taking view of the Adonis Valley and Beirut in the distance, or a drive to natural and archeological sites in the region like Machnaa, Yanouh, Janneh, Jabal Mousa and Afqa.