MACAM Art Residency
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE at MACAM
MACAM is inviting applicants for its Artist In Residence Program in 2017.
The residency provides time and space for diverse artists to interact and focus on their creative work. It offers vast opportunities to get acquainted with the dynamic Lebanese art scene and the cultural fabric of Lebanon. The residency is self-directed as to the individual and offers practical assistance and networks.
In the administration building of an old industrial complex that was refurbished to serve as the Guesthouse of the museum situated on a hilltop overlooking the sea surrounded by beautiful Mediterranean nature, pine and oak trees.
Disciplines and media
Sculpture | Visual Arts | Ceramics | New Media | Architecture | Photography | Film Making | Writing
Over 25 year-old individual artists will be accepted. Maximum 5 artists.
Working language will be English and some Arabic, French, German for those who need it.
- Biography including exhibitions, projects, residency, awards and education experiences (not more than 2 pages)
- Portfolio: up to 10 works in the form of digital files (image in .jpg, .pdf format/ video or sound in .avi, .mp4 format)
- Artist’s statements should include the description of portfolio works (title, year, medium, size, and brief description on works)
- Project Plan including the anticipated outcome after the residency period
- Personal information (e-mail/website, address, phone number
Travel and health insurance are at the expense of participant.
Fees of US 1,000 per month includes transport from Beirut airport to/from Alita, plus lodging, breakfast and lunch.
The main criteria for the selection are the quality of the professional practice, the motivation letter and the willingness to present one’s practice to other professionals.
The applications are reviewed by peers who have the necessary experience to assess the scope of the applicants’ artistic works.
The selected participants will be notified before 30/12/2016 and are requested to pay a deposit of US$400 to confirm their acceptance before 15/01/2017. This amount will later be deducted from their enrolment fee of US$. 2,000. Payment of the remaining fees should be made before 05/02/2017.
- Guesthouse with 5 bedrooms, large living room, kitchen, shower/WC, on two floors, large roof terrace
- Vast workspace outside on the huge factory compound
- Enclosed small rooms for inside workshops
- MACAM exhibition space
- Archive and Library
- Recreation facilities, e.g. hiking, petanque, table tennis, darts, chilling in hammocks
- Internet Connection
- Presentations and talks about contemporary art practices, the history of the plastic arts in Lebanon and the dynamic art scene in Beirut
- Visits to at least eight galleries, art centers in Beirut, and curators and artists
- Visits to historical sights in Lebanon
Last weekend – Open-house exhibition
Cesar Nammour – Museum Director
Please apply per mail to firstname.lastname@example.org